Like most people, I love saving money without compromising healthy food. I’ve decided to start sharing some of my favourite “Budget Bites” with you! Let me know if you try these alternatives, and tag me on Instagram if you post them!
Lazy Lentil Cabbage Casserole
- 1 large Green Cabbage, chopped
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Medium Clove Garlic, minced
- 30 fluid ounce, Tomato Sauce.
- 1 tsp, leaves, Spices, thyme, dried
- 50 tsp(s), Spices, dill weed, dried
- 25 tsp, Salt
- 25 tsp, ground, Spices, pepper, black
- 25 tsp, Spices, pepper, red or cayenne
- 2 cup, Rice – Brown, long-grain, cooked
- 2/3 cup dry lentils
- mozza, shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare lentils and rice. When lentils are almost done cooking, dice onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 min. Stir in half of the tomato sauce, lentils, & all the spices, then bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for five minutes before stirring in rice and removing from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with half of the lentil mixture. Repeat and top with the rest of the cabbage and pour the other half of tomato sauce on top. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- *optional* add shredded mozza on top and bake for an additional 5 min (not included in price or nutrition breakdown)
Makes 12 servings
Carb: 27g (dietary fibre 8g)
$0.66 CAD/ serving (SAVINGS – $0.68/serving)
*Nutrition is an estimate only & prices will vary dependent on store location and brands.